Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Scary


 
by

Dave Amaditz


It's that time of year again for scary.

I don't mean Halloween-scary, although it's a sure thing that I'll soon be bombarded with chilling movies filling the TV screens and children of all ages marching through my neighborhood dressed in frightening costumes. That type of scary is a given, and I'm okay with it. In fact, I quite look forward to watching movies with my children as well as seeing all of the uniquely  frightening and not-so-frightening costumes the neighborhood children wear to collect Halloween candy.

The scary I'm talking about deals with acquisition time at the publishing houses.

I'm told that fall in the publishing business is one of the busiest times of the year, as editors come to editorial and acquisition meetings prepared to pitch the novels they most want to see published. Normally, I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about the process, but this year, I happen to have two stories with two separate houses. For the past few months I've been patiently waiting to hear a response. Of course, I would love to hear a positive response, but as I sit here waiting, I find myself wondering what would be scarier - - receiving a message from the editors with wishes for better publication luck elsewhere, or the continual wait in limbo that comes with not receiving a response.

Is there anyone else out there still waiting for a message like me? How does it make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment