Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

 
Reluctant Readers and The Doodles of Sam Dibble
By Judy Press

In elementary school I was the class comedian. I had a short attention span and blurting out a funny comment was a great way to gain attention and distract from schoolwork. In high school I excelled in art and in college and graduate school I earned a degree in art education. I had found my true calling! Over the past twenty years I wrote twelve art activity books for Williamson Publishing (an imprint of Ideals Publications.)
Sam Dibble is a student much like myself. He struggles in school and at home. It’s Sam’s doodles that help him to thrive and succeed, in the same way I found art. The “Doodles of Sam Dibble” series is geared to ages six to ten. Sentences are short and easy to read, perfect for the reluctant reader.
When I submitted a hard copy of my manuscript I broke the cardinal rule to NEVER submit with illustrations. I rationalized that in my case it was okay since Michael Kline () had illustrated several of my art activity books and I felt his work was a perfect fit to convey Sam’s personality through his doodles. My gamble paid off and Penguin sent Michael a contract to illustrate all four books! Today is the official release day for the first two books in the series, here’s how you can find them: 
“The Doodles of Sam Dibble” can be found on Amazon: (http://www.amazon.com/The-Doodles-Sam-Dibble-1/dp/0448461072/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359035570&sr=8-1&keywords=the+doodles+of+sam+dibble) and on Barnes & Noble: (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-doodles-of-sam-dibble-1-j-press/1111945496)

1 comment:

  1. Yay Judy!!! It's so wonderful to see Dibble out in the world. He's such a fun kid.

    Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete