Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Monday, March 11, 2013

What David Baldacci and I have in common




Ten years ago this month my very first book,  Here's What You Do When You Can't Find Your Shoe burst upon the children's literary scene.  I was prepared for a deluge of requests to speak about my book, autograph books, and be interviewed about this landmark publication.  My family and I were preparing to go on a trip for spring break and so I booked several book signings in the Florida town where we would be staying.  One of my signings was at a Books-a-Million store the Saturday before Easter Sunday. Perfect, I thought.  Lots of parents wanting an autographed copy of a brand new first edition zany poetry collection from yours truly for their darlings' Easter baskets.  I sat in a prime spot, visible to all customers coming in to the store.  Wearing a smile and a cute pair of bunny ears on my head, I beamed at the giant pile of my books on my tiny table.  My husband had even surprised me with a brand new Waterman pen for my first autograph session. 
Two hours later, my bunny ears were drooping as was my spirit. I had signed one copy for a customer, and two for book store staff people - pity sales for sure.  I sighed, thanked the Books-a-Million employees for their kindness, and headed out.


I was reminded of this experience when I recently read an article in the Savannah Morning News about my literary cohort, esteemed author David Baldacci.  According to staff writer Dash Coleman,  Baldacci was scheduled last month to speak to a group of Armstrong Atlantic State University students as part of the sixth annual Savannah Book Festival.  15 students gathered in the showroom of the Southern Motors on Broughton Street to hear him.  To be clear, Mr. Baldacci's crowd beat my crowd.  But to be fair, the article goes on to say, "...After meeting with the students, Baldacci headed to the sold-out Trustees Theater where he brought the festival to a close..."  But 15 students? In a car dealership showroom?? I am sad to say that made me smile.  My guess is that before he went to the Trustees Theater, he must have put on some bunny ears.

1 comment:

  1. What a poignant, raw, real slice of life post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete