Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Monday, December 9, 2013

First Friday-Five Favorite Things: Escape Theory



by Margaux Froley

This past Friday, December 6, Marcy and I posted our answers to Margaux’s debut novel, Escape Theory. Today, you get to read Margaux’s favorite's. It’s always so much fun to read the author’s answers compared to ours.

Thanks for giving our readers such in depth answers, Margaux. We hope our readers enjoy your characters as much as we did.

1) What is your favorite line or paragraph from the novel as it relates to the main character's development and/or growth?

There's a few moments where I love Devon in her most Devonish ways. One of the moments that surprised me, that I didn't plan out, but rather, Devon led the way on was in the last few paragraphs of Chapter 2. Devon is trying to be her helpful self and help Isla out by grabbing some clothes from her dorm room. Instead, she gets a little snoopy in Isla's room, and even tries on a necklace Hutch gave Isla. 

"Even though it was wrong, even though this wasn't hers, Devon unwrapped the necklace. She stood in front of Isla's mirror and hung it around her neck. ....'Love, H,' Devon said to herself. " 

It's kind of a creepy side to Devon, but it made me see the darker side of her that gave her another dimension for me. I mean, deep down even though Devon is doing the right thing, she's a girl who's kind of obsessed with a guy. And not everyone can be perfect all the time.


2) What is your favorite chapter ending or cliffhanger?

Probably the end of Chapter 5:

"The Oxy must have been crushed up before he took it. The only reason someone does that is if they plan on never waking up."

Raven sniffed and stopped crying. She glanced up at her brother.
"Or, if they don't know they were taking it," Devon said.

For me this is where the real mystery begins. It's now no longer a pondering idea of what was Hutch thinking when he died, but this moment really sets Devon, along with Bodhi and Raven, into solving WHO did this to Hutch.


3) Who is your favorite secondary character and why?

Can I say Hutch for this answer? I know the book is about solving his murder, but he's only alive in such short bursts throughout the book. Hutch is the ultimate charmer, but Devon gets a glimpse of some of his awkwardness as well. I find that so endearing.

But my second favorite secondary character is definitely Cleo, or Raven. I can't decide! Both of them remind me of my girlfriends from boarding school. Not afraid to go against the grain, super smart, but also very aware of what was expected of them from their parents, the school. I feel like they're both pretty tough chicks that do things their way, which I'm always a fan of. Plus, I love Cleo's unabashed bitchiness, and Raven's tech prowess.


4) What is your favorite line or paragraph of description?

There's a line in Chapter 1 that made me feel like I was a real writer. One of those moments where you re-read what you wrote and go, "hey, that doesn't suck!" Early on in writing the book, small moments like that meant a lot and helped me find my footing in terms of my fiction voice and style. 
It's how I describe the time jump from when we first meet Devon during her freshman year, to present tense Devon, in her junior year.

"It was as if someone had thrown her chipper freshman RA, June, the month, into a washing machine - and Devon was what came out, her smile left behind long ago in the spin cycle."

And to me, it perfectly sets up how two years at boarding school would wear a person down. Not in a horrible way, just in a, 'I live above my classrooms and could care less about putting on make-up' kind of way.


5) What is your favorite line of dialogue?

That's a tough one. I love writing dialogue. That's why I also write TV scripts. So, I had a lot of fun writing the therapy sessions in the book, that are just two people talking, yet through the course of that conversation, an emotional shift happens. Or, at least it should if I did it right.
But, my favorite conversation might have been the last one between Devon and Hutch. 

She says, "Did you grow up in a juke box or something?"
Hutch ; "Love songs sound better on vinyl."

Devon: "Is that a thing?"

H: "Yeah, it's a thing."
For me that moment is when they're really cementing the bond between them.

And then of course, I always cry, seriously, tears well up every time I read it when they finish their night together and Devon says, "Good night, Hutch." 

My eyes are watering right now, and I wrote the damn line! It's just so sad because from her POV, that was the end of their magical moment. And in present tense, she has to finally say goodbye to him as well. It's very bittersweet since we know Hutch dies two years later, but Freshman Devon and Freshman Hutch in that moment have no idea what their future holds. 



Congratulations to Margaux on Escape Theory. We can’t wait to read more Keaton School Novels!

To find out more about Margaux, check out the following links:



No comments:

Post a Comment