Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Faking Normal



by Courtney Stevens

We would like to congratulate Courtney Stevens on her debut young adult novel, Faking Normal, an absolutely riveting book about a girl who must learn to cope with a secret she’s been hiding since summer, one she’s literally destroying herself over.

This past Friday, April 4, Marcy and I posted our answers to Courtney’s debut novel, Faking Normal. Today, you get to read Courtney’s favorite's. 

She's obviously given a lot of thought to her answers, which isn't surprising since the novel addresses so many sensitive and thought-provoking issues.

We hope our readers enjoy the story as much as we did… But first her bio:


Courtney C. Stevens grew up in Kentucky and lives in Nashville, Tennessee. She is an adjunct professor and a former youth minister. Her other skills include playing hide-and-seek, climbing trees, and being an Olympic torch bearer. Faking Normal is her first novel.
 
1) What is your favorite line or paragraph from the novel as it relates to the main character's development and/or growth?

There are many, many turning points for Alexi, but this is the moment that seals the deal; the moment she decides to channel her brave and seize long-lasting healing in her life.

I decided to keep my secret, and now, I decide to let it go.


2) What is your favorite chapter ending or cliffhanger?

I don’t want to give too much away, so I will just say that this line comes at the end of my favorite scene in the entire book.

 And the dueling lions are silent.


3) Who is your favorite secondary character and why?

Assuming Bodee isn’t a secondary character, I love Alexi’s mom. She’s present, but not all-knowing. She’s loving, but perhaps flawing in the way she has differentiated between grace and justice. She’s the type of woman who will provide healthy perspective on this terrible experience. I don’t read very many young adult books with present parents, and I’m glad Alexi’s are great. That this happened to Alexi in spite of her amazing and protective parents, because it often does. Sexual abuse isn’t something that happens to a certain demographic; its reach can go anywhere, which is a terrible tragedy.


4) What is your favorite line or paragraph of description?

I’m not sure this is my favorite, but it’s one of my favorites. I was a youth minister for a long time, and the realization that people can be Love as a noun was rather fantastic. I want to be a Bodee to people who are hurting. I think I like this paragraph, not because I want to be a savior, but because … I hope people can see the good in me around all the failure.

I’ve lived all but two weeks of my life without Bodee. But now, sitting with him in my fort, I know these two weeks have been God walking right into my life like he has flesh and Kool-Aid-colored hair. The gospel according to Bodee Lennox. His safety. His protection. And love.


5) What is your favorite line of dialogue?

My choice is going to sound odd at first. I chose this line of dialogue because I believe it’s the first glimpse we get that Bodee is someone who has seen beyond the veil Alexi’s wearing. If he’d never said these words, and challenged her ability to hide in shame, this would have been a very different story.

“Neck’s still red,” he says.


We would like to congratulate Courtney Stevens on her debut young adult novel, Faking Normal. We can't wait to read Courtney's next book! 

To read more about Courtney Stevens debut YA novel Faking Normal please go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment