Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Monday, May 5, 2014

First Friday Debut Novel - Summer on the Short Bus

    
      by Bethany Crandell



      This past Friday, May 2, Marcy and I posted our answers to Bethany’s debut novel, Summer on the Short Bus. Today, you get to read Bethany’s favorite's. 

      Great picks, Bethany! You’ve given us even more insight into the thoughts and  motivations of your characters.
  
      We hope our readers enjoy the story as much as we did.

      1What is your favorite line or paragraph from the novel as it relates to the main character's development and/or growth?
Cricket’s growth is as honest as it is slow and sneaks up on her through internal narratives like this one…. Coming from a girl who ranks status, glitz and glamour high on her priority list, it’s quite profound.

Before I can give him a parting smile, he pushes through the swinging doors and disappears into the kitchen. I push myself up on my toes and peek at him through the door’s tiny round window. I can’t help but feel a teeny bit jealous. Sam looks so proud pulling his stained apron over his liver-spotted, gnome head. His life may be simple, but I can tell it’s pretty damn good. 


2) What is your favorite chapter ending or cliffhanger?

End of chapter 3. Not only do we get a clear view of Cricket’s opinion of camp life, but it captures the overall tone of the book.

Oh. My. God. I’m spending my summer with a bunch of retards.


3) Who is your favorite secondary character and why?

CLAIRE!  She’s genuine to the core and more than willing to paint images of male genitalia just to make you laugh. What more can you ask for in a friend?


4) What is your favorite line or paragraph of description?

This is from the pool scene about halfway through the book. (Which inspired the cover, btw). It’s a pivotal moment in Cricket’s character arc though she has no idea there’s any growth happening--which makes the scene doubly awesome.

Claire plunges into the pool with all the grace of a hippo, while I’m left to wonder what sort of alternate universe I’m living in. Girls with no legs win Olympic medals and girls whose asses have just eaten their own bathing suits aren’t made fun of.


5) What is your favorite line of dialogue?

Oh, Quinn. Thoughtful, stubborn, yummy Quinn.

Thanks to some challenging circumstances, Quinn has a different view of the world than a lot of guys his age. This line pretty well sums up his perspective of life:

“Yeah, maybe you are,” he says, leaning close enough so I can see my reflection in his eyes. “But that’s when life starts getting good, right? When it’s messy.”


We would like to congratulate Bethany Crandell on her debut young adult novel, Summer on the Short Bus. We can’t wait to read her next book!

Bethany’s Bio:

I live in San Diego with my husband, two kiddos, and a chocolate lab who has no regard for personal space. I'm slightly obsessed with John Hughes and the wonderful collection of films he left behind, and I'm confident that Jake Ryan will be showing up on my doorstep any day now...

I firmly believe that prayer solves problems, and that laughter is the best medicine. Along with avocados. Avocados make the world a better place.



To read more about Bethany’s debut novel, Summer on the Short Bus, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment