Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Monday, June 30, 2014

A Dozen Favorite Picture Books


by Cynthia Light Brown



The blog post last week by Kitty and her daughters triggered incredible nostalgia. I went down to my lair of picture books that I haven't the heart to give away (I tell my family I'm saving them for grandchildren, but really they're for me). Whittled the hundreds down to dozens, then down to one dozen. One in the middle is the favorite of my middle daughter (now 18 years old, and getting ready to take a gap year in Nepal, so her choice isn't surprising).



Here they are, from younger to older age range:


 

KING BIDGOOD'S IN THE BATHTUB by Audrey Wood, illustrated by Don Wood

 
EACH PEACH PEAR PLUM by Janet and Allan Ahlberg

 
GOTTA GO! GOTTA GO! by Sam Swope, illustrated by Sue Riddle

 
BLUEBERRIES FOR SAL by Robert McCloskey

 
OFFICER BUCKLE AND GLORIA by Peggy Rathmann

 
A BIRTHDAY FOR FRANCES by Russell Hoban, illustrated by Lillian Hoban

 
RED RIDING HOOD retold and illustrated by James Marshall

 
ZOOM AT SEA by Tim Wynne-Jones, illustrated by Eric Beddows* Katie's favorite

 
JACK AND THE BEANSTALK retold and illustrated by Steven Kellogg

 
RAPUNZEL retold and illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky

 
BABA YAGA AND THE WISE DOLL by Hiawyn Oram, illustrated by Ruth Brown

 
THE MOUSEHOLE CAT by Antonia Barber, illustrated by Nicola Bayley






 If you ask me next week, I might come up with a different set - there are so many wonderful ones. I notice that they all have great writing and illustrations. Wonderful illustrations pull you in - and it's what sells most picture books these days - but great writing keeps you coming back.

Most of these authors and illustrators have many other wonderful books - enjoy!























1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to check these out, thanks for posting, Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete