Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Summer Boredom?

by Marcy Collier



As the weather gets warmer and school winds down, parents, children and teachers begin the countdown for the last day of school.

But I know after about a week off from school, I hear the familiar, “I’m bored,” from my children.
We make weekly trips to the library and participate in summer reading programs.

The American library association states, “Summer reading programs began in the 1890s as a way to encourage school children, particularly those in urban areas and not needed for farm work, to read during their summer vacation, use the library and develop the habit of reading. Libraries also now offer summer reading programs for adults, as well as children. Research conducted by the National Center for Educational Statistics found that in 1994, 95% of public libraries offered summer reading programs for children; there are not statistics for adult summer programs.”

That’s a fact I didn’t know, how about you?

All of our local libraries have reading programs as well as bookstores. Here’s the link to Barnes and Noble’s summer reading program:


We read and listen to a lot of books in the summer. Between the library and my audible subscription, we always have at least three audio books in the car for both short and long car rides and a half dozen books at home.

Besides reading, playing and swimming, I also have a few lists of ideas I’ll pull up when I hear the familiar, “I’m bored.” Here are a few links:


As the school year comes to an end, I hope that you all have a safe, enjoyable and not boring summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment